We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: cacao’s great. The health benefits of cacao, not to mention the taste, are enough to keep us shouting about how much we love this superfood. But if you’re still not sure, here are a few reasons why you should become a member of the Cacao Fan Club. ❤️
1. Cacao is a natural source of minerals like iron, potassium, zinc, magnesium and manganese. These minerals help nourish the brain, heart, and immune system, and are super important for our overall health and wellbeing.
2. Fun fact: the darker the chocolate bar, the more minerals it contains, so go for Ombar 100% Cacao if you want a bar packed full of nutrients!
3. Cacao is also packed full of polyphenols, which are a type of micronutrient that naturally occurs in plants. They have powerful antioxidant properties which are proven to improve heart health by managing blood pressure levels, promoting good circulation, and reducing inflammation. Polyphenols and flavanols found in cacao are also shown to improve brain function by boosting blood flow and blood supply to the brain. This could help improve focus, concentration and strengthen your memory.
4. Cacao can help improve gut health by stimulating the growth of healthy bacteria and reducing inflammation in the gut, which helps keep your whole body happy.
5. It makes you feel good! Cacao contains chemicals and ingredients that are said to boost serotonin levels and improve your mood. Also, simply satisfying a craving for delicious chocolate releases endorphins and can make you feel happier.
Most chocolate brands use minimal percentages of cacao (usually somewhere around 30%) and add dairy, refined sugar, palm fat, and emulsifiers to make chocolate as cheap and addictive as possible. They also roast their beans, which kills a lot of the nutrients and minerals that naturally occur in cacao.
At Ombar, we want to preserve all of cacao’s natural goodness, which is why we use unroasted beans from Ecuador in our choc. This is also good news for those of you following a gluten-free diet as pure, refined sugar free, chocolate derived from unroasted cacao beans is naturally gluten-free! This means our signature chocolate range made with creamed coconut, including fan faves like Ombar Coco Mylk and Ombar 72% Cacao, contains no gluten at all. This is something to keep in mind if you fancy treating a gluten-free friend or family member to some chocolate over Coeliac Awareness Week.
'Why chocolate is good for your gut' by Yella Hewings-Martin, Ph.D. on September 15, 2017, medicalnewstoday.com
'Top 5 health benefits of dark chocolate', bbcgoodfood.com.
'These cacao health benefits are sure to blow your mind' by Kirsten Nunez, updated on December 21, 2022, shape.com.